Take A Hearing Test
Can I Really Hear From God Part 2
by: Dana Huffman
If you feel like you have trouble hearing from God, this little test may help.
1. Do you belong to God? John 8:47 says, "He who belongs to God hears what God says." If you have given your life to the Lord and entered his family through Jesus Christ you will hear God speak to your heart.
2. Is the connection with your Heavenly Father clear? Sin clogs the line of communication with God. Psalm 66:18 says, "If I had cherished sin in my heart, the Lord would not have listened." When we are holding onto, or cherishing, something sinful, God is waiting for our confession.
3. Do you listen with both ears? Or do you have one ear open to the kinds of things you want to hear God say while the other is closed to things you'd rather not hear? Are you afraid of what God might tell you? In Jeremiah 29 God promises that his plans are to prosper his people and not to harm them. Anything God has to tell you is for your benefit.
4. Are you waiting for God to speak to your rational mind? Because God is interested in activating our faith. That means that we must be prepared to hear God say some unreasonable sounding things. The stories in the bible prove that what God says is unreasonably right. God told Noah to build a boat in the desert. What makes sense to God and will achieve His purpose may not seem sensible to us on the front end.
5. Are you being your real self when you talk to God? God desires to talk to the true you. He doesn't want to speak to the person you're trying to be. He doesn't want to speak to the person you wish you were. He wants to speak to you. If you need help expressing the real you to God you might try reading some of David's Psalms.
God invites you to talk to Him and hear from Him. He says, "Call to me and I will answer you and tell you great and unsearchable things you do not know." (Jeremiah 33:3 NIV)
Return from Take A Hearing Test to the Touchpoints Index.